These statistics were generated from tests performed from 01/12-15/2013. This data is from after the major build time/resource recovery changes and the subsequent readjustment of the resource recovery. The building time ratios were based upon non-Elite status.
These statistics are only valid if the player wins the battle or ambush. A draw or a loss significantly decreases rank increase and resource recovery per ship lost. Ship build cost is discussed in Titanium only since Power is always half the amount of Titanium both in the build and the recovered resources.
For a player to increase in rank, they must lose at least one ship. You can still get resources by winning a battle without losing any ships, but the resources are minimal. One would be better off farming asteroids, nebulas, stars, debris, and swarms. Since we are on the subject of asteroids, etc., if a player is ambushed while exploring these items, the ambushing fleet will have the same configuration as if you had attacked an empire or pirate of the same level. Swarms, and I believe they are the only item that does this, can ambush or attack. In one, you fight a fleet of that level and the outcome is the same as attacking an empire or pirate of that level. In the other, you lose a few ships and still get a few resources, but there is no battle or battle report.
For Level 2, I use the Battleship as the standard ship for comparison while for Level 3 I use the Dreadnaught. That being said, as long as you win the battle, rank points and resources recovered are the same regardless of the type of ships lost as long as the total build cost of the lost ships is equal, with a slight caveat. For example, 250 lost Bombers (2k Titanium each) awards the player the same amount of rank points and recovered resources as 1 lost Dreadnaught (500K Titanium each). One Battleship (80k T) is the same, "ship equivalent", as 80 Fighters (1k T each) or 20 Corvettes (4K T each). This is the same for the other ships except for Stealth, which I have not tested, and cargo ships.
Lost Freighters do not give any rank points and resources recovered appear to be enough to rebuilt one Freighter, regardless of how many are lost in the ambush (limited testing). As long as you send a large enough escort fleet when exploring, the typical loss is 2 Freighters at most. If you send the Freighters on an attack, they all will be lost regardless of the size of the fleet (again, limited testing with this). Since there is no point to send them on attack mission, this is a no concern. The caveat is that certain ships are required for the survival of the fleet and for the standard rank increases and resources recovered versus ship build cost ratio. Dreadnaughts can destroy anything so they can be sent by themselves. Carriers are capable of being sent on their own at Level 2 but not Level 3. Battleships, Frigates, and Bombers can destroy all other ships except fighters. Even with twice the cost build needed, the Fighters remain untouched. Corvettes by themselves in Level 2 will take out Fighters, but the rank and resources to build cost ratio is much lower than if additional types of ships are included in the fleet. For both Levels 2 and 3, the rank increases and resources recovered are predictable and reproducible, as long as the player wins the battle. Although your rank points and recovered resources go up for each "ship equivalent" that is lost, each additional lost "ship equivalent" after the first one receives a lower and lower gain/loss ratio. Rank increases are determined solely by the number of "ship equivalents" lost (as long as you win) though recovered resources can vary slightly depending on the size of the opposing fleet. Each attack on the same Empire or Pirate will be at the same Level though the fleet configuration will vary within predetermined parameters for that Level. Level 2 Standard ship is the Battleship (BS) with a build cost of 80,000 (80K) Titanium (T). Other ships can be used as long as the total build cost of the lost ships is the same as that for the Battleships. # BS lost or 80K "ship equivalent" / Rank Increase / Rank increase / T recovered
per 1,000 T to build
1 37 0.46 ~1,375 2 63 0.39 ~1,200 3 87 0.36 ~1,080 4 114 0.35 ~1,060 5 130 0.33 ~975 Level 3 Standard ship is the Dreadnaught (D) with a build cost of 500,000 (500K) Titanium (T). Other ships can be used as long as the total build cost of the lost ships isthe same as that for the Dreadnaughts. # D lost or 80K "ship equivalent" / Rank Increase / Rank increase/ T recovered
per 1,000 T to build 1 No data No data No data 2 No data No data No data 3 370 0.246 ~1,080 4 464 0.232 ~1,050 5 555 0.222 ~1,040 6 641 0.214 ~1,030 7 725 0.207 ~1,000 8 806 0.202 ~990 9 885 0.197 ~980 10 962 0.192 ~960 11 1038 0.189 ~945 What this means is that a minimal ship loss in Level 2 is the most cost effective way to increase rank and resources, though losing more ships in Level 3 is the fastest way to increase rank. Since there is a maximum limit of 10 active fleets at a time, you have to decide what is best for you. Another component that must be considered is ship build time. As mentioned earlier, these statistics are for players without Elite status. For Elite members, the recommendations are the same, but the times to build are half. Ship Class / Seconds per 1,000 T to build Fighter 1.42 Corvette 1.42 Bomber 1.19 Frigate 1.27 Battleship 1.42 Carrier 1.42 Dreadnaught 1.90
The table shows that you are much better off building Bombers instead of Dreadnaughts due to the time factor, though I would recommend at least some Dreadnaughts in Level 3. You should balance these two ships classes with Carriers, Fighters, and/or Corvettes. Frigates can replace the Bombers, though they have a slight slower build time ratio.
Recommendations: These are my personal recommendations with no flagship and with research of Armor, Laser, and Shields at Level 8. I do send the flagship out with one fleet build, but all three modules have engines. The engines stack so the fleet with the flagship travels about twice as fast. Also, each fleet has the same Armor, Laser, and Shield levels so I do not have to compensate for that in the one out of ten active fleets that has a flagship. Level 2 4 Carriers & 3 Battleships = No C lost // 33% 1 BS lost, 33% 2 BS lost, 33% 3 BS lost
Equal chance of 37, 63, or 87 rank points or 4 Carriers & 60 Corvettes = 50% No Car lost, 50% 1 Car lost // 100% All Corvettes lost
Equal chance of 87 or 114 rank points or 4 Carriers & 120 Bombers = 75% No C lost, 25% 1 C lost // 100% All Bombers lost
75% chance of 87 rank points and 25% chance of 114 rank points If unable to build Carriers or Battleships you can substitute an equivalent value of Corvettes or Fighters, and Frigates or Bombers. Do not just send one ship class. Level 3 Multiple combinations will work here. When Dreadnaughts were able to be built at just over 2 minutes each, the best option was to just send all Dreadnaughts. Now since they have the longest build time per 1,000 Titanium spent, it is better to have a diverse fleet. This combination will give you consistent rank point increases of 450-630 per fleet. This allows for a decent rank increase while recovering enough resources to rebuild lost ships plus some extra ones. Fighters-100 Corvettes-100 Bombers-100 Frigates-100 Battleships-100 Carriers-100 Dreadnaughts-25 With no flagship and research Armor, Shields, Laser at Level 8 your losses will be: Fighters-all Corvettes-all Bombers-all Frigates-20 to 90 Battleships-5 to 15 Carriers-none Dreadnaughts-none This is a strong combination that alleviates the need to rebuild Dreadnaughts since they have the longest build time per "ship equivalent" and lets you use the faster build times of the Bombers and Frigates. My favorite combination is: Bombers -500 Frigates-200 Battleships-100 Carriers-300 Dreadnaughts-10 Adjust the fleet configuration to your best advantage using the above guidelines. Note: Nanites are best used to speed up build time instead of replacing resources. One nanite is equivalent to 14.3 seconds of build time. I believe this is consistent across the entire build. The speed of nanite production depends on the level of your facilities and research.